Hyundai Mobility Assistance
The Hyundai Customer Mobility Assistance Program is proud to support the mobility
needs of drivers and passengers with physical disabilities. Hyundai will provide
a reimbursement of up to $1,000 to each eligible, original retail customer for
expenses incurred to purchase and install qualifying adaptive equipment on any
eligible purchased or leased Hyundai vehicle.
Adapting Your Vehicle
Hyundai suggests that you request a copy of the Department of Transportation brochure
"Adapting Motor Vehicles for People with Disabilities." Copies are available
by visiting www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
The process includes these steps:
- Determine your state's driver's license requirements.
- Evaluate your needs – Contact the National Mobility Equipment Dealers
Association (NMEDA) for further information.
- Select the right vehicle – Consult with your evaluator, an adaptive
installer and your local Hyundai dealer to determine the best Hyundai model
to meet your needs.
- Choose a qualified mobility equipment installer – Shop around and ask
about qualifications, capabilities, experience, warranty coverage and service.
Confirm that they are members of NMEDA.
- Obtain training on the use of the new equipment – When this process
is complete, follow the guidelines and complete and submit an application
for assistance to recover up to $1,000 of the cost of your adaptive equipment
- Only the original vehicle owner is eligible for reimbursement.
- Modifications must be completed for the original owner or his/her immediate
- Only new Hyundai vehicles retailed or leased in the United States from
an authorized Hyundai dealership.
- Only one reimbursement request per vehicle.
- Lease-vehicle modifications may be subject to written lessor approval.
The customer is responsible for determining and satisfying lease-contract
- Hyundai will consider reimbursement for modifications made to vehicle
after February 1, 2004.
- The written reimbursement request must be received within 6 months of
the adaptive equipment installation.
Adaptations, Modifications or Equipment Installation
- Qualifying adaptive equipment or conversion is defined as: alterations
or adaptive-equipment installation that provides to the disabled user convenient
access and/or the ability to drive the vehicle.
- Adaptive equipment installation must have taken place within the time
and mileage limits of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
- Alterations or adaptive equipment installation requires a prescription
or medical documentation to be considered for reimbursement.
- Reimbursement requests (invoices) will be compared against the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Web site to verify that the
alterer or repair business (individual, partnership or corporation) is registered
with NHTSA and that the modification(s) are on the list of NHTSA exemptions.
- If all conditions are met, Hyundai will provide up to a $1,000 cash reimbursement.
Hyundai will be the secondary coverage in the case of two or more reimbursement
- Wheelchair or scooter hoists or ramps do not require a prescription,
medical documentation or NHTSA exemption verification and NHTSA business
registration for reimbursement consideration.
- Modifications that DO NOT make inoperative any part of a device or element
of design that has been installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance
with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard will not require NHTSA exemption
verification and NHTSA business registration for reimbursement consideration.
- A reimbursement made by another source, such as medical insurance, will
be subtracted from the customer's original total expense. (Example: Total
expense $5,000, Insurance reimbursement $4,000, Customer expense, $1,000.
The customer expense of $1,000 will be reviewed and considered for a maximum
of $1,000 reimbursement.)
Important Customer Information
- The selection of an equipment manufacturer and installer is solely the
customer's responsibility (Hyundai does not endorse any company or supplier
involved in adaptive equipment. Mobility warranty, installation warranty
and related liabilities are not the responsibility of Hyundai).
- The reimbursement application form must be completed in its entirety
and signed by the customer. It should be mailed along with a copy of all
required supporting documentation. (See checklist on application).